Church of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Church of Metal

General metal discussion. All things metal!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands that have helped you through rough times.

Go down 
+2
Nick "SoaS" Morouney
CorpseGrinder
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
CorpseGrinder
Admin
Admin
CorpseGrinder

Bands that have helped you through rough times. Empty
PostSubject: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 9:32 am

Okay, so i've been thinking about starting this, I do not want any trolling or ignorant comments, because this is a hard topic to speak of. I want to know if there is any band that has changed your life or helped you through rough times?

Mine are KoRn, In Flames, Alice in Chains.
I am a manic depressant, and I was sexually abused as a child...and I've had a hard time dealing with that in my life.So bad that I've attempted suicide twice..one time almost succeeding... KoRn and Jonathan Davis's lyrics got me through it, and has helped me overcome my anger.In flames was the first metal band I ever got into, their music was so inspiring for me, it helped me get through my old high school, and not having friends. Alice in Chains helped me overcome my drinking and cutting problem, along with KoRn...Their lyrics and emotions in their performance gave me that hope to fight against my problems. . This is why I am such a strong KoRn fan, and will always defend them.

Now, I didn't post this in search of pity, so please don't think I did. I posted it to show why I have such devotion to metal music, and how with out It I would not be here. I wanted to share this story to united our community more...and perhaps even inspire.

Last edited by CorpseGrinder on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nick "SoaS" Morouney
Admin
Admin
Nick

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 10:05 am

I find that most people into metal have used it, or seeked it's help to help deal with problems they have. This usually morphs into a way of life and another metalhead gets added to the ranks. Thanks for sharing your story, Steven.

I don't know if I can narrow it down to a few specific bands like you did, but I'd have to say Disturbed, Slipknot, and DevilDriver were the ones that helped me the most. and before I get started, I will defend Disturbed's existence as a metal band until I die. IMO, they're deeper into metal than they are hard rock. As with Steven, I do not seek pity or your sympathies by posting the following

When I was very young, my parents divorced and my Dad moved very far away. Growing up they'd always fight over me and put me in the middle, trying to sway me to "their side". I never fully understood what was happening until I grew up more, which was fine - until I grew up more. I was bullied a lot as a kid, beat up a lot cause I was different. Made fun of, ridiculed. Forced me to become shy and not talk much. Tried to avoid people. Always hated myself for having diabetes, again reassuring myself that I was indeed different. I was angry and depressed a lot and didn't know what to do. Then, while visiting my cousin in Shelburne one summer when I was about, 12-13, he started playing a Disturbed mix CD. I had not heard a lot of music like this before then and it mezmerized me. The new found heaviness, the lyrical topics that seemed to fit my life exactly, the power and aggression. It took hold immediately. I then searched up metal on LimeWire and found myself listening to bands such as Slipknot, System of a Down, Rob Zombie, etc. They started really helping me deal with everything that was going on in my life. Months went by, before I discovered DevilDriver and the more defined use of screamed and growled vocals. I started coming out of my shell more, making more friend who shared similar love for metal (new found and old), converted people to listen to metal. It helped me become the person I am today, and I've never looked back. I would like to think of myself as a full fledged metalhead now, with the extensive library I now listen to and love. I no longer suffer from the same angst and depression I did as a young teenager and really, a lot of things don't bother me anymore. Metal changed my life and gave me the strength and confidence to stand up and say "no more." It all sounds pretty emo, but thou shalt not judge. This isn't the forum or the group of people to say it to Razz

So yeah, that's my story of how metal in general helped me over the years, and probably saved my life. Kind of explains how I got into metal too.

Last edited by Nick "SoaS" Morouney on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sinsofasaintmusic
CorpseGrinder
Admin
Admin
CorpseGrinder

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 10:13 am

Thank you Nick for sharing, I can relate to being picked on in school . I was kicked out a lot due to fighting, but it has made me the strong person I am today.
Back to top Go down
Nick "SoaS" Morouney
Admin
Admin
Nick

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 10:14 am

It takes a bigger and stronger (not physically) person to back down and resolve situations in other ways. Not always, even then metal can help pump you up. But metal does not judge, and it's always there
Back to top Go down
CorpseGrinder
Admin
Admin
CorpseGrinder

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 10:16 am

Exactly, I did not start any of the fights, I was just defending myself. Metal takes those angers out of me, that and martial arts. Mosh pits is the best stress reliever for me, until you get stupid fucks who are out to hurt, then It angers me and I want to hurt them.
Back to top Go down
Nick "SoaS" Morouney
Admin
Admin
Nick

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 10:31 am

Like Shannon Dobson? Fuckin' goof. At our last show, a circle pit would start and he'd plow ahead in the opposite direction towards everyone
Back to top Go down
CorpseGrinder
Admin
Admin
CorpseGrinder

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 10:35 am

Yeah, I wouldn't even let him in. fuck, i hate that shit.
Back to top Go down
K1nG`0f`M3t4L
Admin
Admin
K1nG`0f`M3t4L

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 10:45 am

wow...my post didnt show up wtf
Back to top Go down
CorpseGrinder
Admin
Admin
CorpseGrinder

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 10:53 am

Really? thats weird.
Back to top Go down
K1nG`0f`M3t4L
Admin
Admin
K1nG`0f`M3t4L

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 10:53 am

CorpseGrinder wrote:
Really? thats weird.

i will type it again lol....
Back to top Go down
CorpseGrinder
Admin
Admin
CorpseGrinder

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 10:56 am

okay lol
Back to top Go down
K1nG`0f`M3t4L
Admin
Admin
K1nG`0f`M3t4L

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 11:01 am

Alot of use can relate in this sort of way...and metal has helped us in the same way

I had a rough past..i can say..it started..when i was in the 6th grade..i have moved to a new town and started going to a new school.and the kids at this new school..would always bully me and tell me how worthless..i was and how much happier everyone would be without me around..I started feeling very depressed and started doing the bad thing. at the time i was already into metal..slipknot..but that wasnt cutting it for me..then i got into black and death metal aswell as bands like lamb of god..these bands gave me the strength i needed to stand up to these kids..and not let them make my life a living hell they gave me hope..esp since i had no friends..and spent alot of time on my own..metal was there for me..metal is there when nobody else is...metal gave me the hope that things will get better..to hold on and try to live a happy life..and things did get better i moved to a new town and started going to a new high school..where i met some pretty nice people who became my friends..and all was good..then i started getting bullied again for being different..but once agian metal was there for me..and gave me what i needed to fight back and hold on..metal as got me through highschool..i did a protect about it and got an A..
When i left highschool things were good..had a gf..had a project going..and was going to a trucking school..things got shitty..broke up with gf..project failed..and i had to stop going to the trucking school do to shitty laws..and after i had no hope in succeeding..i couldnt and still cant find a job..and all my friends have moved on and im here on my own..i got lazy and grew a strong hatred for others...and did not care..at all..then u will be surprised..but it was Tarja who helped me the most..cause of her..i realized that if i work hard i can succeed..and i grew less lazy put in more effort to take care of myself..and she gave me the hope that i would finally meet some metal heads ppl like me...and i met u guys..u guys r great friends glad to have u...but if it wasnt for her i prob wouldnt be typing this to you..so now hopefully u understand why i like her so much....well hope u enjoyed my imput..theres more i could add but thats the basics
Back to top Go down
Nick "SoaS" Morouney
Admin
Admin
Nick

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 11:07 am

We now have a reason for your "stalker crush" Razz Thanks for sharing, Dylan. All our stories are similar, and our combined love for metal brings us together. Haven't known you for long man, but I would consider you a pretty good friend as well. Metal unifies.
Back to top Go down
K1nG`0f`M3t4L
Admin
Admin
K1nG`0f`M3t4L

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 11:08 am

Nick "SoaS" Morouney wrote:
We now have a reason for your "stalker crush" Razz

yes u know understand why i like her so much =P
Back to top Go down
CorpseGrinder
Admin
Admin
CorpseGrinder

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 8:38 pm

ThaNKs for sharing, Dylan..It means a lot that you guys would all share as well.
I kind of laughed when I seen the Tarja part.
Back to top Go down
K1nG`0f`M3t4L
Admin
Admin
K1nG`0f`M3t4L

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 8:44 pm

CorpseGrinder wrote:

I kind of laughed when I seen the Tarja part.

lol xD...well thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
XxMetallicA_BabeXx

XxMetallicA_BabeXx

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 10:09 pm

Lol... Dylan haha I figured she'd be the one. Well If I had to say a band that has helped me thru all my rought times it would be Metallica, Motley Crue and GUns N Roses. I don't have the greatest mother/daughter relationship but when things are bad between us or theres fighting going down those are the bands i listen to.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/profile.php?id=601480036
CorpseGrinder
Admin
Admin
CorpseGrinder

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 1:22 am

What are some songs that help you guys through upsetting, angry times?

Dylan, I was just thinking you were gonna say something about her in your post. so it tickled me sides Razz
Back to top Go down
K1nG`0f`M3t4L
Admin
Admin
K1nG`0f`M3t4L

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 1:24 am

CorpseGrinder wrote:

Dylan, I was just thinking you were gonna say something about her in your post. so it tickled me sides Razz

lmao..yes..you guys know me to well already =P...but if it wasnt for her i prob wouldnt of started church of metal..and i think i know what she is going to say =P
Back to top Go down
CorpseGrinder
Admin
Admin
CorpseGrinder

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 1:35 am

Well, I'm glad you didbecause, i wouldn't have met you. We must go to a concert together some day.
Back to top Go down
K1nG`0f`M3t4L
Admin
Admin
K1nG`0f`M3t4L

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 1:36 am

CorpseGrinder wrote:
Well, I'm glad you didbecause, i wouldn't have met you. We must go to a concert together some day.

im sure..that could happen...should look into the new england metal and hardcore festival..itsa yearly thing i go to Very Happy
Back to top Go down
CorpseGrinder
Admin
Admin
CorpseGrinder

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 1:43 am

I shall, because thats not that far.
Back to top Go down
K1nG`0f`M3t4L
Admin
Admin
K1nG`0f`M3t4L

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 1:45 am

CorpseGrinder wrote:
I shall, because thats not that far.

thats when i got the things for my friend..
Back to top Go down
XxReaperxX

XxReaperxX

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 3:09 am

Disturbed helped me through some rough times.. I have... a lot of family problems I wouldn't even know where to begin. It really depends on what I'm going through at the time, recently when I've been angry I listen to Children of Bodom, when I'm just upset I listen to KoRn, Disturbed and Avenged Sevenfold.
Back to top Go down
K1nG`0f`M3t4L
Admin
Admin
K1nG`0f`M3t4L

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 3:21 am

I know where u are coming from thanks for sharing =]...we all can relate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands that have helped you through rough times.   Bands that have helped you through rough times. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands that have helped you through rough times.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next